Yesterday we reported that President Donald Trump had settled on Vice Admiral Robert Harward to replace Michael Flynn as his National Security Adviser. However, tonight NBC News reports that Harward has turned down the offer.
The mainstream media is, of course, caterwauling that supposed “chaos” within the Trump Administration put a bad taste in Harward’s mouth, but the vice admiral debunked that speculation, insisting to the Associated Press that it was “purely a personal issue,” because “I’m in a unique position finally after being the in military for 40 years to enjoy some personal time.”
Harward, a former Navy SEAL, spent almost 40 years in the Navy and was on President George W. Bush’s National Security Council, with experience in several Middle Eastern countries, as well as Somalia and Bosnia.
Harward left a military career for a job as chief executive for defense giant Lockheed Martin in the United Arab Emirates, where he is responsible for strategy, operations and growth, according to the company.
Harward had been considered a front-runner for the job. Trump has appointed retired Army Gen. Keith Kellogg as acting adviser.
In announcing his resignation Monday, Flynn said he “inadvertently briefed the Vice President Elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian Ambassador.”
Trump said Thursday that he didn’t believe Flynn did anything wrong, but he said he did not direct Flynn to call the ambassador and discuss sanctions.
So the search for a replacement begins anew. For what it’s worth, conservative commentator Hugh Hewitt has a suggestion that President Trump would be hard-pressed to improve on:
— Hugh Hewitt (@hughhewitt) February 17, 2017