A Chandler, Arizona man was taking out his trash when he was bit my a mysterious bug leading to the spread of bruises covering his arm.
According to Fox 10, the man reported that what looked like “a cross between a scorpion and a spider” bit him, causing “most excruciating pain” of his life.
In just hours, the initial mark of a tiny circle became serious bruises, covering his arm.
Fox News reports:
Jay was transferred between multiple hospitals until he reached one with a toxicology department as doctors scrambled to diagnose the problem. For now, a few weeks after the bite or sting, he is stable as they await biopsy results, reports azfamily.com.
Jay and his wife, Dee Petrov, say the care has been excellent, and that they’ve received a lot of support through their community and now on GoFundMe.
The bug has not been identified and neither has the reason for his severe reaction, though commentators at his GoFundMe are weighing in.
Fox News continues:
They’ve also decided to enroll Jay in a case study, and to devote any funds raised above their $10,000 target toward research and education.
“Even though they may not be able to figure out what it was, they might be able to help other individuals as they learn from this situation,” [Jay] says.
“A cross between a scorpion and a spider” sounds terrifying, but without a specimen, experts can’t be sure what it was.
“Any funds raised that are additional to our medical expenses,” Jay’s GoFundMe states. “We will be donating to the Banner Health Facility to further the research and education in hopes that we can help better fight these types of medical emergencies.”