From Calvin Freiburger: Three things in this life are certain: death, taxes, and that liberals will never stop exploiting tragedies to push gun control. The horrific Las Vegas shooting a month ago obviously sparked one such effort, but these days the Left is so pitifully agenda-driven that they’ll even agitate to restrict innocent Americans’ arms in reaction to massacres in which no guns were actually used.
So it’s vital for every conservative to have a good grasp of gun grabbers’ talking points and the facts and reasoning to refute them. Fortunately, Erika Haas at Bearing Arms has written an invaluable piece providing just that, running down ten instances of sharp-witted Twitter users succinctly nuking liberal lies about guns and gun violence.
1) Celebrities are always a safe bet for maximum cluelessness, and few examples are more mind-boggling than this gem from Patricia Arquette, and one intrepid tweeter’s obvious rejoinder:
Almost like we should make murder and attempted murder illegal or something….🤔
— Jen DinNJ (@JenDinnj) October 4, 2017
Does Arquette actually believe she was saying something that wasn’t blindingly obvious already? Does she sincerely think murderers kill people because they simply don’t know they’re not supposed to, and that a refresher on individual rights is all they need to reform? Yeesh.
2) Mike Stuchbery is a history writer and educator. Apparently his bio reads “history writer” rather than “historian” because he’s not quite up to snuff, as the Daily Caller Ian Miles Cheong demonstrated by letting statistics demolish the following genius “point”:
An encore for the worst "historian" on Twitter. pic.twitter.com/TCs54n0Nkf
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) October 4, 2017
Is Mr. Stuchbery dishonest, or just wildly ignorant? We report, you decide.
3) Liberals are always complaining about the need for more gun laws. But as Willie Vanderbrink reminded the New York Times, one gun law already on the books reigns supreme. And the Left can’t stand it:
We already have real gun laws. The 2nd Amendment is all we need. Thanks for playing. Get your door prize on the way out.
— Willie Vanderbrink (@OilFart1) October 30, 2017
4) Now, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi definitely knows when she’s lying, which is pretty much daily. She’s never one to miss an opportunity to demagogue an issue, especially when there are dead bodies to exploit. Never mind pesky details like whether her proposed remedy actually would have saved any of them:
Which background check would have prevented Paddock from owning a firearm?
— del (@d__el) October 5, 2017
Sure enough, Vegas murderer Stephen Paddock passed multiple background checks.
5) Stupidity isn’t the only thing the average actor or actress has going for him or her; they’re also raging hypocrites, like these famous folks who agreed to be talking heads for gun control:
It's time Congress stand up for public safety and against the NRA's radical agenda.
— Moms Demand Action (@MomsDemand) October 30, 2017
But just one problem (stop me if you’ve heard this one):
— Fox News (@FoxNews) October 22, 2017
Have any of these stars ever had to explain why guns keep them safer but Americans of more modest means should have to do without?
6) Ah, Chelsea Handler, the leftist scold who recently put the kibosh on her show to “focus on being a better, more knowledgable activist.” If the following tweet is indicative, she’s gonna have to get a lot better, and fast:
— Chelsea Handler (@chelseahandler) October 3, 2017
One tweeter replied with a comparison to another prohibition:
On this one, I’m actually going to have to part ways with Ms. Haas. While no law’s effectiveness is 100%, it’s simply not the case that prohibitions have no deterrent effect on the activity being regulated. Now, it’s absolutely true that gun laws don’t stop bad guys from arming themselves, but conservatives are supposed to recognize that gun control is wrong precisely because it is effective at disarming good guys.
A much better rebuttal to Handler would be citing Leah Libresco, the statistician who famously disavowed her past gun-control support last month after examining the evidence. She speaks directly to Handler’s point:
I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.
7) It’s especially galling when America’s number-one killer of children, Planned Parenthood, presumes to lecture America about the subject, both for the sheer evil on display and for the secondary double-standards, which are quite blatant:
In the United States, accessing a gun is easier than accessing an abortion. #ScaryStats
— Steffi Badanes (@steffibadanes) October 30, 2017
Can someone's 14 YO daughter walk in to a gun shop and purchase it without her parents' knowledge or permission? https://t.co/0uJxPGj7fb
— Mo Mo (@molratty) October 30, 2017
8) And then, of course, there are the lefties who simply make stuff up:
— CBS News (@CBSNews) October 4, 2017
— Sean Davis (@seanmdav) October 4, 2017
Boy, it sure is a mystery what Donald Trump means when he says “fake news”…
9) Here’s yet another reason why it’s futile to indulge liberals’ demands for new gun laws: They can’t be bothered to remember which gun laws we already have:
Good news Andy, automatic weapons have been banned since 1986. Bad news: Criminals & Terrorists don't follow the law.
— Robby Starbuck (@robbystarbuck) October 2, 2017
10) Finally, one of the most remarkable things about gun grabbers is how often they fail to hide their seething contempt for millions of their fellow Americans who would never hurt anyone:
Huh? You mean the tens of millions of Americans that have not, do not, and will not harm anyone with their legally owned firearms?
— RFJ (@amaoesquerda) October 6, 2017
We hope these ten examples come in handy the next time you encounter a gun grabber. Are there any we missed? Share them in the comments below!