Robert Reich, Bill Clinton’s former Labor Secretary, recently announced four reasons President Trump should be impeached.
And, if anyone understands impeachment, it’s a former Clinton cabinet member.
But do his claims hold any merit? This is Reich’s list.
According to The Hill, Reich tweeted these four reasons:
1. In taking the oath of office, a president promises to ‘faithfully’ execute the laws and the Constitution. But Trump is ‘unfaithfully’ executing his duties as president by accusing his predecessor, President Obama, of undertaking an illegal (and impeachable) act.
2. Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution forbids government officials from taking things of value from foreign governments. But Trump is making big money off his Trump International HOtel by steering foreign diplomatic delegations to it, and will make a bundle off China’s recent decision to grant his trademark applications for the Trump brand–decisions Chinese authorities arrived at directly because of decisions Trump has made as president.
3. The 1st Amendment to the Constitution bars any law ‘respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.’ But Trump’s ban on travel into the U.S. from six Muslim countries–which he initiated, advocated for, and oversees–violates that provision.
4. The 1st Amendment also bars “abridging the freedom…of the press.” But Trump’s labeling the press the “enemy of the people” and choosing whom he invites to news conferences based on whether they’ve given him favorable coverage, violates this provision.
5. Article III Section 3 of the Constitution defines “treason against the United States” as “adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.” Evidence is mounting that Trump colluded with Russian operatives to win the 2016 presidential election.
Reich, a Bernie supporter and Trump critic, is not calling for Trump’s impeachment. He believes that process will be virtually impossible to start without a Democratic majority in the House, where the process of impeachment begins.
Instead, he is calling on the American people to “flip the House in 2018” for that Democratic majority to make his impeachment dreams reality.
Reich believes there are grounds for impeachment–the only question remains is when will enough House members agree and act to impeach the President of the United States.