Gen. H.R. McMaster says that the Washington Post article claiming that President Donald Trump revealed classified information “as reported, is false.”
And as Georgia Sen. David Purdue told Fox News: “When General McMaster says something didn’t happen, it didn’t happen.”
Here’s the full text of the National Security Advisor’s statement to the press on the issue:
“The premise of that article is false,” he said. “That in any way, the President had a conversation that was inappropriate, or that resulted in any kind of lapse in national security. And so I think the real issue and I think what I’d like to see debated more, is that national security has been put at risk by those violating confidentiality and those releasing information to the press that can be used – connected with other information available – to make American citizens and others more vulnerable.”
On Monday, McMaster said:
“There’s nothing that the president takes more seriously than the security of the American people. The story that came out tonight, as reported, is false. The president and the foreign minister [Sergey Lavrov] reviewed a range of common threats to our two counties, including threats to civil aviation. At no time — at no time — were intelligence sources or methods discussed. And the president did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known. Two other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of state, remember it being the same way and have said so. Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources. And I was in the room. It didn’t happen.”
The Post article alleges that Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week.
Here’s McMaster’s entire presentation: