Mandalay Bay Hotel Did Not Call Police Until Shooter Fired on Crowd, Despite Guard Already Being Shot

It seems that as more information comes out about the horrendous shooting in Las Vegas two Sundays ago, more things just do not add up at all. There is still no known motive, the shooter planned the attack immaculately, and now we find out that the hotel in which he was staying did not even call police until he was firing on the crowd, despite the fact that six minutes before one of their security guards was fired upon by Paddock.

What the actual hell is going on here?

Just a couple of days ago, we reported that the timeline for the attack abruptly changed. Suddenly, the timeline now detailed a security guard being shot by the attack a full six minutes before he began firing on the crowd outside the hotel.

He opened fire on the crowd at 10:05 pm local time, but he shot the guard at 9:59 pm.

Paddock fired some 200 rounds into the hallway. Injured, Campos radioed hotel security to report that he’d been shot. According to the newly laid timeline, a full six minutes passed between the time when the shooter shot Campos and when he open fired on concert goers at 10:05.

Mandalay Bay disputes that the timeline of events is accurate. A spokeswoman claims the hotel doesn’t know when Campos called to report that he’d been shot.

What did happen in that six minutes is still disputed, but the real story now is what did not happen. Despite hotel security being alerted to the fact that gunfire erupted on the 32nd floor, the hotel did not call 911 for police to respond until the crowd came under fire.

The Associated Press reports that a source who reviewed the records found this out and revealed it to ABC News late Wednesday.

That means the hotel did not call police when security guard Jesus Campos first reported that someone was shooting on the 32nd floor, or when building engineer Stephen Schuck also internally reported someone was firing at him on the same floor.

Pressure mounted Wednesday for Las Vegas police to explain how quickly they reacted to what would become the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history after two hotel employees reported a gunman spraying a hallway with bullets six minutes before he opened fire on a crowd at a musical performance.

Police originally said that Paddock fired on the security guard after firing on the crowd, but the most recent timeline completely refutes that. The hotel’s security staff did hear about the fact that someone was firing on the 32nd floor before the attack on the crowd.

What happened in those six minutes? Why were police not immediately called as soon as that alert came in?

Schuck told NBC News that he was checking out a report of a jammed fire door on the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay when he heard gunshots and the hotel security guard who had been shot in the leg peeked out from an alcove and told him to take cover.

“It was kind of relentless so I called over the radio what was going on,” Schuck said. “As soon as the shooting stopped we made our way down the hallway and took cover again and then the shooting started again.”

Gunshots can be heard in the background as Schuck used his radio to report the shooting, telling a dispatcher: “Call the police, someone’s firing a gun up here. Someone’s firing a rifle on the 32nd floor down the hallway.”

Undersheriff Kevin McMahill defended the hotel’s actions, saying they did a fantastic job. However, he did not comment on the revised timeline.

Which is it? Is it the revised timeline, or the original? What happened in those crucial six minutes that are now part of the equation? If the hotel did not call police in that time, given the report that 200 shots had just been fired, the staff may have some serious questions to answer, and may even be held liable to some degree if negligence is suspected.

We just don’t fully know at this point though, and details are still hard to come by; each revelation just makes us question what happened even more than we were before.