According to The Hill, the FBI has started handing over hundreds of pages in memos to the Senate, detailing new information on the bureau’s probe on Clinton’s private server scandal.
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said last month that they had questions for the FBI over their decision to openly investigate Clinton’s unauthorized use of an unprotected private server to handle confidential emails while not announcing their investigation of Trump campaign associates over rumored ties to Russia.
Clinton’s confirmed mishandling of confidential material isn’t to be compared with unverified allegations of collusion between Trump and the Russian government.
But there are other matters the FBI should address.
“Decisions made by the Department of Justice in 2016 have led to a host of outstanding questions that must be answered,” Goodlatte and Gowdy said in a joint statement.
One issue the FBI must be prepared to answer for is why former FBI director James Comey wrote a draft of a a statement that the FBI wouldn’t recommend charges against Hillary Clinton before several key witnesses were interviewed.
From The Hill:
They said they also want to know why the FBI decided to formally notify Congress of the Clinton probe on two separate occasions; why the FBI — rather than the Justice Department — recommended that Clinton not be charged after the investigation concluded; and the reasoning behind their timeline for announcing such decisions.
“The Committees will review these decisions and others to better understand the reasoning behind how certain conclusions were drawn. Congress has a constitutional duty to preserve the integrity of our justice system by ensuring transparency and accountability of actions taken,” their statement continued.
Former FBI director James Comey apparently began drafting his statement that the FBI would not recommend charges months before his July 2016 announcement.
The FBI informed the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday that they would shortly begin transmitting requested memos.
The Hill reports:
The sources said the Justice Department notified the Senate Judiciary Committee late Friday and the FBI began transmitting memos soon after to assist Congress in its review of former Director James Comey’s handling of the Clinton email case.
[…] The new documents being transmitted to the Senate Judiciary Committee are expected to shed light on how the FBI made those decisions, who was involved and whether the decision to clear Clinton was made before she was even interviewed by FBI agents in spring 2016.
The release of the new documents comes as new FBI Director Christopher Wray attempts to build his own relationship with Congress amid multiple oversight investigations.
The release also comes hours after new documents came to light in a federal lawsuit showing exactly when FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe recused himself from the Clinton email investigation, which was codenamed “Mid Year.” McCabe was forced to step aside due to questions about a possible conflict of interest involving hundreds of thousands of dollars of money that flowed to his wife’s political campaign from a Clinton ally.
Will these documents finally answer long asked questions concerning the FBI’s handling of the Clinton probe?
Let us know what you think, and sound off in the comments below.