McConnell Throws Roy Moore Under The Bus

A Louisville reporter asked Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Monday if he believes the women who came forward to say Senate candidate Roy Moore pursued sexual relations with them when they were underage.

“I believe the women, yes.” McConnell answered.

One of the women, Leigh Corfman, says she was 14 years old when Moore manipulated her into a sexual encounter.

According to AL.com, another woman has recently come forward to say Moore assaulted her when she was a minor.

Furthermore, according to CBS News, former deputy district attorney Teresa Jones recently commented that it was “common knowledge” that Moore dated high school girls while in his 30s.

“Everyone we knew thought it was weird,” Jones said. “We wondered why someone his age would hang out at high school football games and the mall.”

By no means is McConnell willing to defend his fellow Republican. He says Moore should drop out of the Senate race.

Moore, however, denies the allegations. According to The Washington Free Beacon, Moore claims he’s “not going to dispute anything” but doesn’t remember dating any girls “without the permission of her mother.”

McConnell also told reporters Monday after visiting a plant in Kentucky that Moore “should step aside” in light of the allegations against him.

The Washington Post on Thursday reported that, in 1979, Moore initiated a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl when he was 32 years old. Three other women told the Post that Moore propositioned them when they were between the ages of 16 and 18 and he was in his early 30s.

Since the accusations against Moore became public, several Republican lawmakers have called on the former Alabama Supreme Court justice to leave his Senate race. McConnell initially said that Moore should step aside if the allegations were proven true.

The Senate majority leader said that Republicans are looking at a write-in option for the Senate race in Alabama.

Moore said Friday on Sean Hannity’s radio show that dating teenagers was “not my customary behavior” at the time.

“I’m not going to dispute anything, but I don’t remember anything like that,” Moore said. “I don’t remember dating any girl without the permission of her mother.”

The Free Beacon also reports that the Alabama Republican Party and the Republican National Committee are still supporting Moore’s campaign.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee however, the “campaign arm of Senate Republicans,” has severed all ties to Moore.

Meanwhile, Moore is threatening to sue the Washington Post for publishing the women’s accusations against him. He says it’s suspicious that the women’s “complaints” came only after waiting until the weeks before the general election.

NBC News reports:

Moore has denied the claims and said Sunday he plans to sue the Washington Post. Moore said last week that he didn’t know the woman quoted in the Post story alleging he had forced her into a sexual encounter when she was 14 years old and he was 32 in 1979.

“Everybody in this room, every person watching on these cameras, should ask theirselves, ‘Isn’t it strange that after 40 years of constant investigation people have waited until four weeks prior to the general election to bring their complaints?'” Moore said at an event on Saturday in Vestavia Hills, Alabama.

No matter the accusations against him, Moore shows no intentions of dropping out now. But how it all affects the election remains to be seen.