If You Own a ‘NutriBullet’ THROW IT AWAY; ‘Can Cause Burns, Lacerations’

If you use one of those popular “NutriBullet” countertop mixers, you might want to think again before you use it.

At least 14 people have sued the maker of the popular appliance, claiming it burst into flames during use, leaving them with severe cuts and burns. The victims said the speed of the blade caused heat to build up in the sealed container, causing it to burst from the rest of the machine.

Fox News reports that one victim who was injured six months ago said she used the product for only 20 seconds before it exploded.

“I had my hands on it, like you normally do as you put it in and turn it to lock it in place, and it was on for maybe 15 to 20 seconds and it exploded,” Sheryl Utal told Fox 11. “It spins so fast that it heats up the contents, the contents get under pressure, and the device explodes, so that hot liquid exploded onto me and created nasty burns.”

Doug Rochen, Utal’s attorney said the product lacks important safety features and that he’s representing another client whose hand fell into the blade, causing them to have six surgeries.

“We represent one client whose dominant right hand was mutilated by the NutriBullet, she was making lunch for her husband, the unit, lid, vessel exploded, and it caused her hand to fall into the blade,” Doug Rochen told the news outlet.

NutriBullet has denied the allegations made against its product, with an attorney citing user error as a likely cause of injury. Mark Suzomoto told Fox 11 that the product is designed to be sealed to product the user’s hands from the blades, and that while it can heat up due to friction, it is “impossible” for such a reaction to occur after 20 seconds of use.

Suzomoto dismissed the allegations, saying the manual warns against using the product for more than 60 seconds due to potential heating issues.

“Any product can present a risk,” he told Fox 11. “Like driving without a seat belt. What’s alleged to have happened is physically impossible.”

Utal’s lawsuit claims “The assembly blade detached from the canister, spraying the now scalding contents of the canister all over the plaintiff’s face, arms, and chest.” It describes “intense pain and burning from the scalding contents making contact with her body, and says the plaintiff “immediately went into shock.”

Rochen claims that the problem with the NutriBullet is that it’s a sealed vessel, meaning there’s no way for pressure to escape, and there’s no on off switch.

“It builds up pressure, and heat within the unit, which causes the body of the vessel to separate from the blade assembly like a rocket ship, and it explodes,” he said.

Suzumoto said that millions of people use the NutriBullet without any issues, the company stands by its product, and that the people who are bringing lawsuits likely aren’t telling the truth about their injuries.

What do you think? Do you have a NutriBullet? Will you keep using it? Are you more careful than these folks? Sound off below!